Sunday, December 4, 2011

Tips on Passing the State Board Cosmetology California/National Exam


It's been a long, tough journey to obtain my Cosmetology license. Throughout all my burdens and sacrifices I am glad I did not give up and I endured it until the very end, where I obtained my license last Friday!! I took my State board test in Glendale, CA. I can say that the test is 80% mental & nerves.
If you cave under pressure and time you will have a difficult time. Time passes by so quickly and you are timed and it's early in the morning and you need to be on your A game. Waking up at 5am was not fun! 

Tips for a successful State board Passing:

1. The night before prep your model! Cut hair in round layers, shoulder length. DO NOT bring a model with middle of the back hair. You will fail. It takes too long. 
Give her a mini manicure. Also practice rolling the perm rods on her hair. It's different than doll head hair. 
2. No cell phones! You will get kicked out.
3. Check your attitude at the door! No divas, don't give other girls looks, mind your business. Stay on task! I didn't even really glance around the room that much. 
4. Go to the restroom on break or before test. Every min counts. Come back on time from breaks.
5. You can bring bottled water inside the test area.
6. Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize!!! 
7. Lots of girls didn't finish the hair cut! Make sure you have it down. Controlled sections. Comb neatly and double check when done. She checks angle at the crown for 90 degree.  
8. Proctor checks haircut, rollers, nails, and waxing.
9. Client protection. See something on her face, clean it. Spray water on cheek, wipe it. 
10. Listen to all DIRECTIONS!!!!  If the timer goes off and she says stop. STOP!! Don't keep cutting.
11. I recommended Western Kit Company for your kit. It is $125 and you get to keep it and attend classes.
12. Watch Youtube videos on State board. Google it, they are on there.
13. When checking your inventory of items in your kit make sure you take off all sealers on the lotions, gels etc. So you don't waste time later.
14. Don't touch your face or hair. If you do, sanitize hands - immediately.
15. Dress professionally. Wear all black, nothing flashy. Nothing over exaggerated. I would not try to stand out during the test. The one time you want to be low key. Why call attention to yourself at this! 
I was not sloppy. I looked professional. Clean look. I saw a few girls that looked like they rolled out of bed. This is your career! Act like you care! 
16. Get plenty of rest. Eat before you check-in.
17. The written test was pretty simple. 110 questions. Know your Nail chapter! Electricity, PH chart.
Parts of Hair structure. 
18. Believe in yourself and your abilities. You can do it. The keys to your success are in your hands!
19. I made a sign that I wrote: State board PASS and taped it in the bathroom so I saw it every day. 
With the right frame of mind it will happen. Be positive and confident. 
20. Good luck beautiful! Rock it out! :)

Happy moment!!! :)
Love, Rachael Beauty xo

10 comments:

  1. hi.. im taking my test next week what book did you study off the california state board book? and was most of the question in there? thank you you can email me on chickick92@yahoo.com thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi im currently applying for my Georgia hair designer written and practical test for hair designer and would like to know if ther are any practice sites for the written test ,or videos for the practical test . you can reach me at cheerhair629@gmail.com im a licence hair stylist already in Chicago , any info would help thank you . alrady have the mylady cosmetology book and workbook thank you,



    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachael my wife is going to take the exam next month. I was wondering if you knew of a good reference book in Spanish. Any help that you can provide will be appreciated. Thank you for your time. aizepeda@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know on the written test whoch questions should we studie more...like the subject. Im going soon and im nervous :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't have any good books to recommend. Honestly I just studied the pamplets my instructor gave me from school. It's a lot to review but don't be lazy. Read. Good luck everyone. It really is more mental! Like going to the DMV. Just be calm. Be confident. Stay focused. Practice. Read. Study. You will be fine. Taking a model who has shoulder length hair of round layers is key though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good topics & articles these are so important for anyone for get an idea about beauty. This is a fantastic website, could you be interested in going through an interview concerning just how you know it? I am more enjoyed reading your description. I offer to you Beauty Tips and teaching Commercial to Residential Conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So if I didn’t finish the haircut do I fail automatically

    ReplyDelete